Saturday, August 24, 2013

Year One

I have never been one for writing things down, journaling or blogging.  But there is so much that I want to be able to remember and look back on so I thought I should start.  So here it goes!

Our Happily Ever After:

Phillip and I are asked all the time, "How's married life?"  I never know how to answer this particular question.  It's good, great, exciting, and fun!  It's HARD. FRUSTRATING. EMOTIONAL. NEVER-ENDING! My typical answer is "It's marriage."  Assuming married couples know what I mean and my single friends just nod.  But here is the real honest truth...

Well after all the excitement of the wedding, honeymoon, and newlywed phase wore off there was just Phillip and I.  How much more could someone ask for than to spend the rest of their life with their best friend???  Well I would ask the dishes be rinsed off, laundry put in laundry baskets, and trash to make it in the trash can to just name a few!   It has been such a learning process over this past year.  I never realized how bad this man snored, how cranky he is when he just wakes up, and how many comic books he actually has!  I didn't realize how many conversations there were to be over what's for dinner?  What time?  Who's cooking?  Can friends come over?  Do you like this?  What about that?  There is never anything that is just done anymore. Marriage is checking one another's schedule and their opinion on any situation even something as simple as toilet paper!  (Which is not simple by the way!)  It's a constant study of learning what your spouse likes and even more how they think!

There are days when I am so frustrated with this man of my dreams I look for hiding spaces in our tiny 1,000 square foot apartment.  And cry.  Tears of pain.  Tears of despair.  Tears of exhaustion.  And then this man who knows me better than anyone ever could makes me smile.  And he makes me laugh. My heart still skips a beat when I catch a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye.  He makes me happy.  Happier than I have ever been.  I joke with him all the time "I love you, but I DO NOT like you right now!"  Truth is I wouldn't want to be angry, frustrated, silly, happy, crazy, or exhausted with anyone but HIM.  He completes me in every way and makes me want to be a better person.  And I am learning everyday how to love him more and love him better!  One year down.  Forever to go.

So I guess my answer now a year later to "How's married life?" would be "It's an adjustment."  But I wouldn't want it any other way!










































No comments:

Post a Comment